24/7 Nurse Advice Line
Help is always just a phone call away.
Illnesses or injuries don’t always happen during regular business hours. For those times when the need arises after a physician’s office has closed, OhioHealthy members have a qualified advisor they can turn to at any time. We call it the 24/7 Nurse Advice Line.
When you call the 24/7 Nurse Advice Line, you’ll be talking directly with a professional nurse who can assess your medical situation, advise you as to where to seek care and, if possible, suggest self-care options that can get you safely through until you can see your physician.
Of course, for any life-threatening emergency, always go to the closest emergency room or call 911.
What to do when you need care after hours
When you are faced with an illness or injury after hours, here are steps you can follow to help ensure your care is addressed at the highest benefit level possible:
1. Call your physician.
2. If your physician is unavailable, call the 24/7 Nurse Advice Line – 1-866-363-7477.
3. When you call, you will be connected with a nurse trained in emergency, acute, OB/GYN, and pediatric care. Please note: the nurse will not have access to your medical records, cannot diagnose medical conditions, order lab work, write prescriptions, order home health services, or initiate hospital admissions.
4. When talking to the nurse, be sure to have the following information on hand:
- The Member ID number of the person who is ill or has been injured. This number is on the front of the member ID card.
- Detailed information regarding the illness or injury.
- Any other relevant medical information about the patient, such as other medical conditions or prescriptions. Keep in mind that nurses do not have access to medical records or other pertinent health information and are relying on you to provide them with relevant information.
5. The nurse will advise you regarding whether to proceed to the nearest emergency room or urgent care center. The nurse may suggest appropriate home treatments. You may be advised to see your physician on the next business day. If a visit to the emergency room is authorized by the nurse, the visit will automatically be covered following your Plan guidelines without retrospective review.
6. Your physician will receive a follow-up report about your call so that your medical records will have up-to-date information.